This comes from one of our favourite YouTube Channels, Binging WIth Babish. He’s recreating chili from the TV Show The Office, and it’s incredible! Making a paste with the ground chilis takes this to another level. Give it a try this weekend.
- 3 ounces dried ancho chiles
- 1 ounce dried cascabel chiles
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon toasted & freshly ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 32 ounces chicken stock, divided
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 pounds chuck steak, trimmed and diced into very small cubes
- 1 large Spanish onion, chopped
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and chopped
- 1 habanero pepper (optional), seeded and chopped
- 4 large cloves of garlic, crushed
- 12 ounces Mexican lager
- 6 roma tomatoes, cored and chopped
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 12 ounce can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Shredded white cheddar (optional)
Cut open dried chiles and remove seeds. Cut into 1/2” pieces, and in a dry pan over medium-high heat, toast until fragrant and barely smoking. Place in a food processor and process until reduced to a fine powder, about 3 minutes. Add cocoa powder, cornmeal, cumin, and oregano, and pulse to combine. Add 3/4 cup of chicken stock, and blend until paste forms. Set aside.
Place vegetable oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add beef in batches and brown on all sides. Once at least half the meat is browned, add onion, jalapeños, habanero, and garlic to the pot and sweat briefly before deglazing with the Mexican beer. Add tomatoes, brown sugar, kidney beans, beef, and spice paste – stir until combined, and bring to a bare simmer. Simmer for 2-3 hours, or until meat is tender and chili has thickened. Season with salt and pepper, and top with cheese and other desired garnishes.