This is an excellent new take on asparagus. Seeing as it’s a holiday in Canada (Americans on this list you can use this next weekend!), we may have you BBQ’s out today. So, why not look at this grilled asparagus as a side to go with your burgers or ribs or whatever other great things you are creating this long weekend!
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons mirin (sweet Japanese rice wine)
- ¼ cup white miso
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated peeled ginger
- 2 bunches asparagus (about 2 pounds), trimmed
- Lime wedges, thinly sliced scallions, and toasted sesame seeds (for serving)
Prepare a grill for high heat. Whisk mirin, miso, vinegar, and ginger in a small bowl. Place asparagus in a pie plate or small baking dish and pour miso mixture over. Toss to coat.
Grill asparagus, turning occasionally until charred on all sides and crisp-tender, 4–5 minutes. Transfer to a platter. Squeeze lime juice over, then top with scallions and sesame seeds.