We love halloumi cheese, it’s such a fantastic cheese with a great taste and texture. If you don’t have, or can’t find halloumi (it’s usually in Greek supermarkets or specialty cheese stores), mozzarella will work, but don’t grill it.
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for grill
- 2 scallions
- 1 jalapeño
- 1/2 cup halved pitted Castelvetrano or other green olives
- 3 tablespoons salted, roasted pistachios
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 (6)-inch pitas
- 2 medium eggplants, halved lengthwise (or crosswise if using 1 large eggplant)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for grill
- Kosher salt
- 1 (8)-ounce package Halloumi cheese
- 2 large Persian cucumbers or 1 small English hothouse cucumber
- 1 pound tomatoes, halved, cut into wedges if large
- 1/2 cup torn mint leaves
- 1/4 cup dill sprigs
For the dressing:
Prepare a grill for medium heat; oil grate. Grill scallions and jalapeño, turning once, until lightly blistered and crisp-tender, about 2 minutes for scallions and 4 minutes for jalapeño. Transfer to a cutting board and let cool slightly.
Slice open jalapeño and scrape out seeds (unless you like things very spicy); discard. Coarsely chop chile and scallions. Mix in a medium bowl with olives, pistachios, lemon juice, vinegar, and 5 Tbsp. oil; season dressing with salt and pepper.
Dressing can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Assemble the salad:
Mix thyme, sesame seeds, and garlic powder in a small bowl. Lightly coat pitas and eggplants with 2 Tbsp. oil; season with salt and rub with thyme mixture. Grill, turning occasionally and moving to a cooler part of grill if needed to avoid scorching, until pitas are golden and crisp and eggplants are browned and tender, 5 minutes for pitas, and 8–10 minutes for eggplants. Transfer to a platter and let cool slightly.
Meanwhile, grill Halloumi until charred and soft, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to platter with pitas and eggplants.
Tear pitas and Halloumi into chunky pieces, then cut eggplants into bite-size pieces. Transfer to a large bowl and add cucumbers, tomatoes, and dressing. Give everything a good toss to bring it all together; season with salt. Top with mint leaves and dill sprigs.