A Monte Cristo sandwich is a fantastic sandwich, even if it is a little complicated. You’ve got to grill the sandwiches, but the combination of that with dijon mustard, ham, turkey and the various other ingredients is fantastic!
- 4 (1/3-inch-thick) slices egg bread
- 2 1/2 tablespoons whole grain Dijon mustard, divided
- 4 thin slices aged white cheddar cheese (cut to size of bread), divided
- 4 thin slices smoked turkey
- 4 thin slices smoked ham
- 4 leaves mustard greens (trimmed to size of bread)
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons butter
Place 2 bread slices on work surface. Spread each with 1 tablespoon mustard. Top each with 1 cheese slice, 2 turkey slices, 2 ham slices, 2 leaves mustard greens, another cheese slice, and bread.
Beat eggs and remaining 1/2 tablespoon mustard in pie dish to blend. Melt butter in large skillet over medium-low heat. Dip both sides of sandwiches into egg mixture. Place in skillet. Cover and cook until bottoms are golden, about 5 minutes. Turn sandwiches over. Cover, cook until golden and cheese is melted, about 4 minutes longer. Transfer sandwiches to plates; cut into quarters.